Pronunciation: (god), [key]
—n., v., god•ded, god•ding,
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3. (l.c.) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. (often l.c.) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science.the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
6. (l.c.) an image of a deity; an idol.
7. (l.c.) any deified person or object.
8. (often l.c.) Gods, Theat.
a. the upper balcony in a theater.
b. the spectators in this part of the balcony.
(l.c.) to regard or treat as a god; deify; idolize.
(used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.