Pronunciation: (god'win), [key]
1. Also,God•wi•nePronunciation: (god'wi-nu). [key]Earl of the West Saxons,died 1053, English statesman.
2. Gail, born 1937, U.S. novelist and short-story writer.
3. Mary Woll•stone•craft Pronunciation: (wool'stun-kraft", -kräft"), [key] 1759–97, English writer.
4. her husbandWilliam, 1756–1836, English political philosopher, novelist, and essayist.
5. a male given name: from an Old English word meaning “good friend.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.