Pronunciation: (gôr'dn), [key]
1. Charles George (“Chinese Gordon”; “Gordon Pasha”), 1833–85, British general: administrator in China and Egypt.
2. Charles William, real name of Ralph Connor.
3. Lord George, 1751–93, English politician.
4. George Hamilton, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, 1784–1860, British statesman, born in Scotland: prime minister 1852–55.
5. Mary (Catherine), born 1949, U.S. novelist, short-story writer, and essayist.
6. a male given name: from an Old English word meaning “round hill.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.