Pronunciation: (gôrd, gōrd, goord), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/gourd.html on line 79 [key]
1. the hard-shelled fruit of any of various plants, esp. those of Lagenaria siceraria (white-flowered gourd or bottle gourd), whose dried shell is used for bowls and other utensils, and Cucurbita pepo (yellow-flowered gourd), used ornamentally. Cf. gourd family.
2. a plant bearing such a fruit.
3. a dried and excavated gourd shell used as a bottle, dipper, flask, etc.
4. a gourd-shaped, small-necked bottle or flask.
5. out of or off one's gourd, Slang.out of one's mind; crazy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.