—v.grēs, grēz), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/grease.html on line 81 [key]
—n., v., greased, greasing.
1. the melted or rendered fat of animals, esp. when in a soft state.
2. fatty or oily matter in general; lubricant.
3. Also called grease' wool". wool, as shorn, before being cleansed of the oily matter.
4. Also called grease-heel Pronunciation: (grēs'hēl"). Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/grease.html on line 119 [key] Vet. Pathol.inflammation of a horse's skin in the fetlock region, attended with an oily secretion.
5. Informal.a bribe.
1. to put grease on; lubricate: to grease the axle of a car.
2. to smear or cover with grease.
3. to cause to occur easily; smooth the way; facilitate.
4. Informal.to bribe.
5. grease someone's palm. See palm 1 (def. 11).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.