Pronunciation: (gril), [key]
1. a grating or openwork barrier, as for a gate, usually of metal and often of decorative design.
2. an opening, usually covered by grillwork, for admitting air to cool the engine of an automobile or the like; radiator grille.
3. any of various perforated screens, sheets, etc., used to cover something, as on a radio for protecting the amplifier or in cryptography for coding purposes.
4. a ticket window covered by a grating.
5. Court Tennis.a square-shaped winning opening on the hazard side of the court. Cf. dedans (def. 1), winning gallery. Also,grill.
Pronunciation: ( Fr. grē-yā'), [key]
1. cooked on a grill; broiled.
2. Textiles.having an ornamental bar or grate pattern across the open areas of a lace motif. Also,gril•lée'.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.