Pronunciation: (grunt), [key]
1. to utter the deep, guttural sound characteristic of a hog.
2. to utter a similar sound.
3. to grumble, as in discontent.
to express with a grunt.
1. a sound of grunting.
2. New Eng. Cookery.a dessert, typically of cherries, peaches, or apples sweetened and spiced, and topped with biscuit dough.
3. any food fish of the family Pomadasyidae (Haemulidae), found chiefly in tropical and subtropical seas, that emits grunting sounds.
4. Slang.a soldier, esp. an infantryman.
5. Slang.a common or unskilled worker; laborer.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.