Pronunciation: (gil'u-tēn", gē'u-; esp. for v. gil"u-tēn', gē"u-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/guillotine.html on line 81 [key]
—n., v., -tined, -tin•ing.
1. a device for beheading a person by means of a heavy blade that is dropped between two posts serving as guides: widely used during the French Revolution.
2. an instrument for surgically removing the tonsils.
3. any of various machines in which a vertical blade between two parallel uprights descends to cut or trim metal, stacks of paper, etc.
1. to behead by the guillotine.
2. to cut with or as if with a guillotine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.