Pronunciation: (gīz), [key]
—n., v., guised, guis•ing.
1. general external appearance; aspect; semblance: an old principle in a new guise.
2. assumed appearance or mere semblance: under the guise of friendship.
3. style of dress: in the guise of a shepherd.
4. Archaic.manner; mode.
to dress; attire: children guised as cowboys.
Scot. and North Eng.to appear or go in disguise.
Pronunciation: (gēz), [key]
1. Fran•çois de Lor•raine Pronunciation: (frän-swa' du lô-ren'), [key] 2nd Duc de, 1519–63, French general and statesman.
2. his son,Hen•ri I de Lorraine Pronunciation: (än-rē'), [key] Duc de, 1550–88, French general and leader of opposition to the Huguenots.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.