Pronunciation: (hal'sē-un), [key]
—adj. Also,hal•cy•o•ni•anPronunciation: (hal"sē-ō'nē-un), [key]hal•cy•on•icPronunciation: (hal"sē-on'ik). [key]
1. calm; peaceful; tranquil: halcyon weather.
2. rich; wealthy; prosperous: halcyon times of peace.
3. happy; joyful; carefree: halcyon days of youth.
4. of or pertaining to the halcyon or kingfisher.
1. a mythical bird, usually identified with the kingfisher, said to breed about the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea, and to have the power of charming winds and waves into calmness.
2. any of various kingfishers, esp. of the genus Halcyon.
3. (cap.) Class. Myth.Alcyone (def. 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.