Pronunciation: (härsh), [key]
1. ungentle and unpleasant in action or effect: harsh treatment; harsh manners.
2. grim or unpleasantly severe; stern; cruel; austere: a harsh life; a harsh master.
3. physically uncomfortable; desolate; stark: a harsh land.
4. unpleasant to the ear; grating; strident: a harsh voice; a harsh sound.
5. unpleasantly rough, ragged, or coarse to the touch: a harsh surface.
6. jarring to the eye or to the esthetic sense; unrefined; crude; raw: harsh colors.
7. unpleasant to the taste or sense of smell; bitter; acrid: a harsh flavor; a harsh odor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.