Pronunciation: (hônt, hänt; for 10 also hant), [key]
1. to visit habitually or appear to frequently as a spirit or ghost: to haunt a house; to haunt a person.
2. to recur persistently to the consciousness of; remain with: Memories of love haunted him.
3. to visit frequently; go to often: He haunted the galleries and bars that the artists went to.
4. to frequent the company of; be often with: He haunted famous men, hoping to gain celebrity for himself.
5. to disturb or distress; cause to have anxiety; trouble; worry: His youthful escapades came back to haunt him.
1. to reappear continually as a spirit or ghost.
2. to visit habitually or regularly.
3. to remain persistently; loiter; stay; linger.
1. Often, haunts. a place frequently visited: to return to one's old haunts.
2. Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. and North Eng.a ghost.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.