Pronunciation: (hed'ing), [key]
1. something that serves as a head, top, or front.
2. a title or caption of a page, chapter, etc.
3. a section of the subject of a discourse; a main division of a topic or theme.
4. the compass direction toward which a traveler or vehicle is or should be moving; course.
5. an active underground mining excavation in the earth, as a drift or raise being or about to be driven.
6. Aeron.the angle between the axis from front to rear of an aircraft and some reference line, as magnetic north.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.