Pronunciation: (hev'u-lē), [key]
1. with a great weight or burden: a heavily loaded wagon.
2. in a manner suggestive of carrying a great weight; ponderously; lumberingly: He walked heavily across the room.
3. in an oppressive manner: Cares weigh heavily upon him.
4. severely; greatly; intensely: to suffer heavily.
5. densely; thickly: heavily wooded.
6. in large amounts or in great quantities; very much: It rained heavily on Tuesday.
7. without animation or vigor; in a dull manner; sluggishly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.