Pronunciation: (hīt'n), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/heighten.html on line 73 [key]
1. to increase the height of; make higher.
2. to increase the degree or amount of; augment: Cézanne's death heightened the value of his paintings.
3. to strengthen, deepen, or intensify: to heighten the plot of a story; to heighten one's awareness or appreciation; to heighten one's suffering.
4. to bring out the important features of, as in a drawing: to heighten a picture with Chinese white.
1. to become higher.
2. to increase: The tension heightened as the enemy forces advanced.
3. to brighten or become more intense.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.