Pronunciation: (hē'lē-u-trōp", hēl'yu- or, esp. Brit., hel'yu-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/heliotrope.html on line 79 [key]
1. any hairy plant belonging to the genus Heliotropium, of the borage family, as H. arborescens, cultivated for its small, fragrant purple flowers.
2. any of various other plants, as the valerian or the winter heliotrope.
3. any plant that turns toward the sun.
4. a light tint of purple; reddish lavender.
5. Survey.an arrangement of mirrors for reflecting sunlight from a distant point to an observation station.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.