Pronunciation: (hemp), [key]
1. Also called Indian hemp, marijuana. a tall, coarse plant, Cannabis sativa, that is native to Asia but naturalized or cultivated in many parts of the world and is the source of a valuable fiber as well as drugs such as marijuana and hashish. Cf. cannabis.
2. the tough fiber of this plant, used for making rope, coarse fabric, etc.
3. any of various plants resembling hemp.
4. any of various fibers similar to hemp.
5. a narcotic drug, as marijuana or hashish, prepared from the hemp plant.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.