Pronunciation: (her'ul-drē), [key]
1. the science of armorial bearings.
2. the art of blazoning armorial bearings, of settling the rights of persons to bear arms or to use certain bearings, of tracing and recording genealogies, of recording honors, and of deciding questions of precedence.
3. the office or duty of a herald.
4. a heraldic device, or a collection of such devices.
5. a coat of arms; armorial bearings.
6. heraldic symbolism.
7. heraldic pomp or ceremony: The coronation was marked by all the magnificence of heraldry.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.