Pronunciation: (hûr'mit), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/hermit.html on line 85 [key]
1. a person who has withdrawn to a solitary place for a life of religious seclusion.
2. any person living in seclusion; recluse.
3. Zool.an animal of solitary habits.
4. Ornith.any of numerous hummingbirds of the genera Glaucis and Phaethornis, having curved bills and dull-colored rather than iridescent plumage.
5. a spiced molasses cookie often containing raisins or nuts.
6. Obs.a beadsman.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.