Pronunciation: (hur-self'), [key]
1. an emphatic appositive of her or she: She herself wrote the letter.
2. a reflexive form of her: She supports herself.
3. (used in absolute constructions): Herself still only a child, she had to take care of her four younger brothers and sisters.
4. (used as the object of a preposition or as the direct or indirect object of a verb): She gave herself a facial massage. He asked her for a picture of herself.
5. (used in comparisons after as or than): She found out that the others were even more nervous than herself.
6. her normal or customary self: After a few weeks of rest, she will be herself again.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.