Pronunciation: (hik'up, -up), [key]
—n., v., -cuped or -cupped, -cup•ing or -cup•ping.
1. a quick, involuntary inhalation that follows a spasm of the diaphragm and is suddenly checked by closure of the glottis, producing a short, relatively sharp sound.
2. Usually, hiccups. the condition of having such spasms: She got the hiccups just as she began to speak.
3. Informal.a minor difficulty, interruption, setback, etc.: a hiccup in the stock market.
1. to make the sound of a hiccup: The motor hiccuped as it started.
2. to have the hiccups.
3. Informal.to experience a temporary decline, setback, interruption, etc.: There was general alarm when the economy hiccuped. Also,hic-coughPronunciation: (hik'up, -up). [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.