Pronunciation: (hī"ur-u-glif'ik, hī"ru-), [key]
2. designating or pertaining to a pictographic script, particularly that of the ancient Egyptians, in which many of the symbols are conventionalized, recognizable pictures of the things represented.
3. inscribed with hieroglyphic symbols.
4. hard to decipher; hard to read.
1. Also,hi'er•o•glyph".a hieroglyphic symbol.
2. Usually, hieroglyphics. hieroglyphic writing.
3. a figure or symbol with a hidden meaning.
4. hieroglyphics,handwriting, figures, characters, code, etc., difficult to decipher: the confusing hieroglyphics of advanced mathematics.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.