Pronunciation: (hob), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/hob.html on line 77 [key]
—n., v., hobbed, hob•bing.
1. a projection or shelf at the back or side of a fireplace, used for keeping food warm.
2. a rounded peg or pin used as a target in quoits and similar games.
3. a game in which such a peg is used.
4. Mach.a milling cutter for gear and sprocket teeth, splines, threads, etc., having helically arranged teeth and fed across the work as the work is rotated.
Mach.to cut with a hob.
Pronunciation: (hob), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/hob.html on line 118 [key]
1. a hobgoblin or elf.
2. play hob with, to do mischief or harm to: The child played hob with my radio, and now it won't work at all.
3. raise hob, to cause a destructive commotion; behave disruptively: They raised such hob with their antagonistic questions that the meeting broke up.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.