Pronunciation: (hō'lē), [key]
—adj., -li•er, -li•est,
—n., pl. -lies.
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
5. entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.
6. religious: holy rites.
7. inspiring fear, awe, or grave distress: The director, when angry, is a holy terror.
a place of worship; sacred place; sanctuary.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.