Pronunciation: (hOOp, hoop), [key]
1. a circular band or ring of metal, wood, or other stiff material.
2. such a band for holding together the staves of a cask, tub, etc.
3. a large ring of iron, wood, plastic, etc., used as a plaything for a child to roll along the ground.
4. a circular or ringlike object, part, figure, etc.
5. the shank of a finger ring.
6. Croquet.a wicket.
7. a circular band of stiff material used to expand and display a woman's skirt.
8. See hoop skirt.
9. Basketball Informal.
a. the metal ring from which the net is suspended; rim.
b. the metal ring and net taken together; the basket.
c. the game of basketball.
10. a decorative band, as around a mug or cup.
11. See hoop iron.
1. to bind or fasten with or as if with a hoop or hoops.
2. to encircle; surround.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.