Pronunciation: (hou), [key] Scot. and North Eng.
1. a hole.
2. the hold of a ship.
3. a hollow; dell.
2. deep. Also,how.
Pronunciation: (hou), [key]
1. E(dgar) W(atson), 1853–1937, U.S. novelist and editor.
2. Elias, 1819–67, U.S. inventor of the sewing machine.
3. Gordon (Gordie), born 1928, Canadian ice-hockey player.
4. Irving, 1920–93, U.S. social historian and literary critic.
5. Julia Ward, 1819–1910, U.S. writer and reformer: author of the Battle Hymn of the Republic (wife of Samuel Gridley Howe).
6. Richard (Earl Howe) (“Black Dick”), 1726–99, British admiral (brother of William Howe).
7. Samuel Grid•ley Pronunciation: (grid'lē), [key] 1801–76, U.S. surgeon and humanitarian.
8. William, 5th Viscount, 1729–1814, British general in the American Revolutionary War.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.