Pronunciation: (hum'bug"), [key]
—n., v., -bugged, -bug•ging,
1. something intended to delude or deceive.
2. the quality of falseness or deception.
3. a person who is not what he or she claims or pretends to be; impostor.
4. something devoid of sense or meaning; nonsense: a humbug of technical jargon.
5. Brit.a variety of hard mint candy.
to impose upon by humbug or false pretense; delude; deceive.
to practice humbug.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.