Pronunciation: (hung'gur), [key]
1. a compelling need or desire for food.
2. the painful sensation or state of weakness caused by the need of food: to collapse from hunger.
3. a shortage of food; famine.
4. a strong or compelling desire or craving: hunger for power.
5. from hunger, Slang.deplorably bad; dreadful: The styles in coats this winter are from hunger. Also,strictly from hunger.
1. to feel hunger; be hungry.
2. to have a strong desire.
Rare.to subject to hunger; starve.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.