Pronunciation: (hung'grē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/hungry.html on line 75 [key]
—adj. -gri•er, -gri•est.
1. having a desire, craving, or need for food; feeling hunger.
2. indicating, characteristic of, or characterized by hunger: He approached the table with a hungry look.
3. strongly or eagerly desirous.
4. lacking needful or desirable elements; not fertile; poor: hungry land.
5. marked by a scarcity of food: The depression years were hungry times.
6. Informal.aggressively ambitious or competitive, as from a need to overcome poverty or past defeats: a hungry investment firm looking for wealthy clients.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.