Pronunciation: (ī'kon), [key]
1. a picture, image, or other representation.
2. Eastern Ch.a representation of some sacred personage, as Christ or a saint or angel, painted usually on a wood surface and venerated itself as sacred.
3. a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.
4. Computers.a picture or symbol that appears on a monitor and is used to represent a command, as a file drawer to represent filing.
5. Semiotics.a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it. Also,eikon,ikon (for defs. 1, 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.