Pronunciation: (ī-den'tu-fī", i-den'-), [key]
—v., -fied, -fy•ing.
1. to recognize or establish as being a particular person or thing; verify the identity of: to identify handwriting; to identify the bearer of a check.
2. to serve as a means of identification for: His gruff voice quickly identified him.
3. to make, represent to be, or regard or treat as the same or identical: They identified Jones with the progress of the company.
4. to associate in name, feeling, interest, action, etc. (usually fol. by with): He preferred not to identify himself with that group.
5. Biol.to determine to what group (a given specimen) belongs.
6. Psychol.to associate (one or oneself) with another person or a group of persons by identification.
to experience psychological identification: The audience identified with the play's characters.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.