—adj., n.i-lOO'mu-nit, -nāt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/illuminate.html on line 85 [key]
—v., -nat•ed, -nat•ing,
1. to supply or brighten with light; light up.
2. to make lucid or clear; throw light on (a subject).
3. to decorate with lights, as in celebration.
4. to enlighten, as with knowledge.
5. to make resplendent or illustrious: A smile illuminated her face.
6. to decorate (a manuscript, book, etc.) with colors and gold or silver, as was often done in the Middle Ages.
1. to display lights, as in celebration.
2. to become illuminated.
Archaic.a person who is or affects to be specially enlightened.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.