Pronunciation: (i-lOO"mu-nā'shun), [key]
1. an act or instance of illuminating.
2. the fact or condition of being illuminated.
3. a decoration of lights, usually colored lights.
4. Sometimes, illuminations. an entertainment, display, or celebration using lights as a major feature or decoration.
5. intellectual or spiritual enlightenment.
6. Also called illuminance, intensity of illumination. Optics.the intensity of light falling at a given place on a lighted surface; the luminous flux incident per unit area, expressed in lumens per unit of area.
7. a supply of light: a source of illumination.
8. decoration of a manuscript or book with a painted design in color, gold, etc.
9. a design used in such decoration.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.