Pronunciation: (i-môr'tl), [key]
1. not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
2. remembered or celebrated through all time: the immortal words of Lincoln.
3. not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.
4. perpetual; lasting; constant: an immortal enemy.
5. of or pertaining to immortal beings or immortality.
6. (of a laboratory-cultured cell line) capable of dividing indefinitely.
1. an immortal being.
2. a person of enduring fame: Bach, Milton, El Greco, and other immortals.
3. the Immortals,the 40 members of the French Academy.
4. (often cap.) any of the gods of classical mythology.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.