Pronunciation: (im-pûr'fikt), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or characterized by defects or weaknesses: imperfect vision.
2. not perfect; lacking completeness: imperfect knowledge.
3. Gram.noting action or state still in process at some temporal point of reference, particularly in the past.
4. Law.being without legal effect or support; unenforceable.
5. Bot.(of a flower) diclinous.
6. Music.of or relating to the interval of a major or minor third or sixth. Cf. perfect (def. 12a).
1. the imperfect tense.
2. another verb formation or construction with imperfect meaning.
3. a form in the imperfect, as Latin portābam, “I was carrying.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.