Pronunciation: (im-pôr'tnt), [key]
1. of much or great significance or consequence: an important event in world history.
2. mattering much (usually fol. by to): details important to a fair decision.
3. entitled to more than ordinary consideration or notice: an important exception.
4. prominent or large: He played an important part in national politics.
5. of considerable influence or authority, as a person or position: an important scientist.
6. having social position or distinction, as a person or family: important guests.
7. pompous; pretentious: When speaking, he assumes an important attitude that offends his audience.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.