Pronunciation: (im-prOOv'munt), [key]
1. an act of improving or the state of being improved.
2. a change or addition by which a thing is improved.
3. a person or thing that represents an advance on another in excellence or achievement: The new landlord is a great improvement over his greedy predecessor.
4. a bringing into a more valuable or desirable condition, as of land or real property; betterment.
5. something done or added to real property that increases its value.
6. profitable use, as of a period of time.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.