—v., -creased, -creas•ing,
to make greater, as in number, size, strength, or quality; augment; add to: to increase taxes.
1. to become greater, as in number, size, strength, or quality: Sales of automobiles increased last year.
2. to multiply by propagation.
3. to wax, as the moon.
1. growth or augmentation in numbers, size, strength, quality, etc.: the increase of crime.
2. the act or process of increasing.
3. that by which something is increased.
4. the result of increasing.
5. produce of the earth.
6. product; profit; interest.
a. multiplication by propagation; production of offspring.
b. offspring; progeny.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.