Pronunciation: (in"du-rekt', -dī-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/indirect.html on line 77 [key]
1. not in a direct course or path; deviating from a straight line; roundabout: an indirect course in sailing.
2. coming or resulting otherwise than directly or immediately, as effects or consequences: an indirect advantage.
3. not direct in action or procedure: His methods are indirect but not dishonest.
4. not straightforward; devious; deceitful: He is known as a shady, indirect fellow.
5. not direct in bearing, application, force, etc.: indirect evidence.
6. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of indirect discourse: an indirect quote.
7. not descending in a direct line of succession, as a title or inheritance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.