Pronunciation: (in"du-vij'OO-ul), [key]
1. a single human being, as distinguished from a group.
2. a person: a strange individual.
3. a distinct, indivisible entity; a single thing, being, instance, or item.
4. a group considered as a unit.
a. a single organism capable of independent existence.
b. a member of a compound organism or colony.
6. Cards.a duplicate-bridge tournament in which each player plays the same number of hands in partnership with every other player, individual scores for each player being kept for each hand.
1. single; particular; separate: to number individual copies of a limited edition.
2. intended for the use of one person only: to serve individual portions of a pizza.
3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a particular person or thing: individual tastes.
4. distinguished by special, singular, or markedly personal characteristics; exhibiting unique or unusual qualities: a highly individual style of painting.
5. existing as a distinct, indivisible entity, or considered as such; discrete: individual parts of a tea set.
6. of which each is different or of a different design from the others: a set of individual coffee cups.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.