Pronunciation: (in"i-kwol'i-tē), [key]
1. the condition of being unequal; lack of equality; disparity: inequality of size.
2. social disparity: inequality between the rich and the poor.
3. disparity or relative inadequacy in natural endowments: a startling inequality of intellect, talents, and physical stamina.
4. injustice; partiality.
5. unevenness, as of surface.
6. an instance of unevenness.
7. variableness, as of climate.
a. any component part of the departure from uniformity in astronomical phenomena, esp. in orbital motion.
b. the amount of such a departure.
9. Math.a statement that two quantities are unequal, indicated by the symbol &nE;; alternatively, by the symbol < , signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is less than that following, or by the symbol >, signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is greater than that following.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.