Pronunciation: (in-fekt'), [key]
1. to affect or contaminate (a person, organ, wound, etc.) with disease-producing germs.
2. to affect with disease.
3. to taint or contaminate with something that affects quality, character, or condition unfavorably: to infect the air with poison gas.
4. to corrupt or affect morally: The news of the gold strike infected him with greed.
5. to imbue with some pernicious belief, opinion, etc.
6. to affect with a computer virus.
7. to affect so as to influence feeling or action: His courage infected the others.
8. Law.to taint with illegality, or expose to penalty, forfeiture, etc.
to become infected.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.