Pronunciation: (in'fi-dl, -del"), [key]
a. a person who does not accept a particular faith, esp. Christianity.
b. (in Christian use) an unbeliever, esp. a Muslim.
c. (in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kaffir.
2. a person who has no religious faith; unbeliever.
3. (loosely) a person who disbelieves or doubts a particular theory, belief, creed, etc.; skeptic.
1. not accepting a particular faith, esp. Christianity or Islam; heathen.
2. without religious faith.
3. due to or manifesting unbelief: infidel ideas.
4. rejecting the Christian religion while accepting no other; not believing in the Bible or any Christian divine revelation.
5. Also,in•fi•del•icPronunciation: (in"fi-del'ik). [key]of, pertaining to, or characteristic of unbelievers or infidels.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.