Pronunciation: (in-flāt'), [key]
—v., -flat•ed, -flat•ing.
1. to distend; swell or puff out; dilate: The king cobra inflates its hood.
2. to cause to expand or distend with air or gas: to inflate a balloon.
3. to puff up with pride, satisfaction, etc.
4. to elate.
5. Econ.to expand (money, prices, an economy, etc.) unduly in amount, value, or size; affect with inflation.
1. to become inflated.
2. to increase, esp. suddenly and substantially: The $10 subscription has inflated to $25.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.