Pronunciation: (in'ing), [key]
1. Baseball.a division of a game during which each team has an opportunity to score until three outs have been made against it.
2. a similar opportunity to score in certain other games, as horseshoes.
3. an opportunity for activity; a turn: Now the opposition will have its inning.
4. innings, (used with a sing. v.)
a. Cricket.a unit of play in which each team has a turn at bat, the turn of a team ending after ten players are put out or when the team declares.
b. land reclaimed, esp. from the sea.
5. the act of reclaiming marshy or flooded land.
6. enclosure, as of wasteland.
7. the gathering in of crops.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.