Pronunciation: (in-sin"yOO-ā'shun), [key]
1. an indirect or covert suggestion or hint, esp. of a derogatory nature: She made nasty insinuations about her rivals.
2. covert or artful suggestion or hinting, as of something implied: His methods of insinuation are most ingenious.
3. subtle or artful instillment into the mind.
4. the art or power of stealing into the affections and pleasing; ingratiation: He made his way by flattery and insinuation.
5. Archaic.a slow winding, worming, or stealing in.
6. Obs.an ingratiating act or speech.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.