Pronunciation: (in"sti-tOO'shu-nl, -tyOO'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/institutional.html on line 79 [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or established by institution.
2. of or pertaining to organized establishments, foundations, societies, or the like, or to the buildings devoted to their work.
3. of the nature of an institution.
4. characterized by the blandness, drabness, uniformity, and lack of individualized attention attributed to large institutions that serve many people: institutional food.
5. (of advertising) having as the primary object the establishment of goodwill and a favorable reputation rather than the immediate sale of the product.
6. pertaining to institutes or principles, esp. of jurisprudence.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.