Pronunciation: (in-struk'shun), [key]
1. the act or practice of instructing or teaching; education.
2. knowledge or information imparted.
3. an item of such knowledge or information.
4. Usually, instructions. orders or directions: The instructions are on the back of the box.
5. the act of furnishing with authoritative directions.
6. Computers.a command given to a computer to carry out a particular operation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.