1. to treat or speak to insolently or with contemptuous rudeness; affront.
2. to affect as an affront; offend or demean.
3. Archaic.to attack; assault.
Archaic.to behave with insolent triumph; exult contemptuously (usually fol. by on, upon, or over).
1. an insolent or contemptuously rude action or remark; affront.
2. something having the effect of an affront: That book is an insult to one's intelligence.
a. an injury or trauma.
b. an agent that inflicts this.
4. Archaic.an attack or assault.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.