Pronunciation: (in-tens'), [key]
1. existing or occurring in a high or extreme degree: intense heat.
2. acute, strong, or vehement, as sensations, feelings, or emotions: intense anger.
3. of an extreme kind; very great, as in strength, keenness, severity, or the like: an intense gale.
4. having a characteristic quality in a high degree: The intense sunlight was blinding.
5. strenuous or earnest, as activity, exertion, diligence, or thought: an intense life.
6. exhibiting a high degree of some quality or action.
7. having or showing great strength, strong feeling, or tension, as a person, the face, or language.
8. susceptible to strong emotion; emotional: an intense person.
9. (of color) very deep: intense red.
10. Photog.dense (def. 4).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.